Thursday, May 22, 2014

Cook John Kelly

About a month ago or so, I posted on Facebook about a experience that Kelci and I had going to the supermarket here in Niteroi. It was quite an experience. It was our first time going shopping for everything that we needed and we needed a lot. You rarely need to buy things like Vanilla, Seasonings, Baking Powder and the like...however...when you move somewhere and don't have those things. You do! It isn't such a big deal when you can read the language or communicate with people in the same language. However, when you can't do those things very well..it can be a bit frustrating.

Kelci and I have gotten a lot better at shopping and we go to the store here probably 2 times a week (at least) and now know where things are and feel a little more confident in asking people for help. Everyone is always willing to help. But going shopping is always an experience at this time in our life.

In the states, I rarely cooked. Kelci cooked and makes very good food, however, she would admit that it is not something she necessarily likes to do. My idea of cooking was usually fast food, frozen pizzas, pasta, or tacos. I am also pretty good at making eggs. I am opposite of Kelci I think. I actually kind of like to cook, but don't do it that often because I am not very good at it, not very creative with it, and don't have a lot of food ideas. That is all changing here. We don't have as many fast food restaurants or frozen foods and we don't have taco seasoning (though Kelci's friends did send us some and that was awesome!). Therefore, I am having to learn to cook more and I am enjoying it. I'm not very creative yet and still search for ideas and recipes online. I'm also pretty sure the things I have made have not turned out nearly like they were supposed to. But I haven't ruined anything yet and you gotta start somewhere. I plan on making pancakes soon without the "Just Add Water" Box. I am going to make a Spaghetti Chicken Casserole soon (which I guess is really popular in CofC potlucks though I don't remember having it). I am by no means a chef. But it is somewhat fun learning to cook. Now all I need is a dishwasher because I don't love to clean up what I cook yet...much to the chagrin of my wife. Maybe that'll come with time!

-Kelly (If you got an easy recipe that you feel I need to try, let me know. Note though...there are many things that you can easily find in the states that are not here.)

2 comments:

  1. Kelly, what you need is a grill. It's a manly kind of thing to have and you can experiment along the way. Throw some meat, fish or veggies on the grill and add some basic spices and you've got a meal that you don't have to Wash the pots and pans! I bet Bryan and Becky Gibbs have some great Brazilian recipes that you could learn, I will email them and try to get some easy recipes. Enjoy this season of your life - it when all the memories are made! Hugs and prayers. Michelle Faries -Great Cities Missions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I want to buy a grill but have not been able to yet. We shall see though, I definitely love grilling. Thanks for the ideas! Keep 'em coming...

      Delete